We had planned out the day. We were going to the Fool’s Regata in the morning, gonna swing by the docks in afternoon, and finish our day with a sunset lighthouse cruise. NOT! Ok, plans changed, be flexible, life is ever-changing. So, here is how it panned out…

After a wondeful breakfast at Phil’s Restaurant here in Narragansett, drove over to Jamestown for the Fool’s Regata. We made it, saw the banners, then the “postponed till tomorrow” sign. It seems there was a 20% chance of inclement weather. Really? Cause to me that’s an 80% chance of good weather. Ok, so next idea…

We stop by the Jamestown Windmill for a couple photo opportunities. We both get a few decent shots. The cell phone rings. It is the Lighthouse Tour Company calling to say they are cancelling the sunset cruise due to the possibility of inclement weather. Really? Again… Ok, so we agree to go on the 2pm tour instead.

We make a couple more side stops on the way back to the house. We stop at the Gilbert Stuart Mill for a few more picture taking opportunities. We continue home and remember the Casey Farm is having a Farmer’s Market today. We stop, I grab my camera, and we go for a walk. Not sure we will buy anything or take any pictures but you never know. Lots of organic and locally grown vegetable for sale, homemade breads, honey’s, and other goodies. I find a vendor with beautiful produce. She doesn’t mind that I take a few pictures. To me, these are some of my favorite pictures of the day. There is an older black man playing acoustic guitar while playing the harmonica and cymbals (with his feet), and yet, still managing to sing John Denver songs. A little blonde haired boy, no more than a year or so old, stands and tries to dance to the music. He falls to the ground frequently since he is just learning to walk. At no time does he cry. He just gets up and tries again.

The 2pm Lighthouse Tour is next. We board the Millennium, a 400 passenger catamaran with 3 levels for viewing. We head to the top level. Afterall, the view from the top is usually pretty good. It is still overcast with occassional breaks in the clouds for a few rays of sunshine. The temperature is perfect. We set off from the dock. The breeze feels great. The boat slows as we approach each of the lighthouses. We take what we hope will be good shots and enjoy the view and our time together. We do feel a few raindops but nothing heavy. As we circle Conanicut Island, which is open to the Atlantic on the south, we hit some big swells. Everyone is asked to go inside and take a seat till we reenter the bay. We go down to the first level, grab a soda and snack, and find a table by the window. However, crazy me, and couple other people with cameras, get up and go outside intermittently with permission to get the best pictures that we can. I laugh as I return to my seat while trying to walk on the boat with such large swells. Doug and I both think of Laurie, his sister, she would not have made it at this point (something about a weak stomach). As we head in the swells decrease. We are back in Narragansett Bay and headed back to the dock. We had a great time. I would do this again. However, as a photographer (ok, wanna be), I would choose different times of day and/or weather so that I could find the shot that just blows me away. We disembark and head home for the day.

Doug’s mom is preparing clam chower and steamer’s (steamed clams) for dinner. I take a quick shower to wash off the terrible feel of sunscreen (being fair skinned is a curse when you love the outdoors and water). Doug helps his mom get dinner on the table. Dinner was great. I have yet to find any seafood that I didn’t like. I will keep trying new things but I don’t expect this to change.

After dinner I guess I didn’t stay awake too long. I looked at the photos that I had taken and was falling asleep at the computer. So, I put my laptop down and turned in for the night.

Hope you enjoy the pictures that I am including. One of the lighthouses was receiving a makeover. However, I still took a picture and included it. See you tomorrow…

Advertisements